In the last decade, new products in the consumer market began to appear mainly in the market for technological goods rather than FMCG products. To coordinate a variety of activities related to introducing new products to the market, the company management selects appropriate channels for informing and informing the target market about new products. Manufacturers of new products usually target those consumers who are ready to take these new products right away, and apply the theory of the spread of innovation and the adoption of new products by consumers to identify them.
To assess the time and cost needed to do this, it will be useful to consider changes in consumer behavior. The communication channels that are necessary for introducing a new product to the market pursue certain channels at each stage of the perception of a new product (awareness, interest, evaluation, trial, and acceptance). The task of the supplier of a new product is to facilitate the movement of the consumer from the first stage to the last. The following characteristics of the process of adoption of innovations are distinguished: a different degree of willingness to try out a new product, manifestations of personal influences, different speed of adoption of new products and differences in the willingness of consumers to test new products.
Many consumers are stuck at the stage of interest; they do not buy goods, because not sure about its necessity and / or they are frightened off by the high price. But the same consumers would like to take such a system for testing for a small fee or for rent.
Most consumers still learn about new products in the field of food from acquaintances or friends. Among the main channels through which it is worth introducing new products to consumers, it is worth noting the following in descending order according to the criterion of consumer confidence in the source of information about new products and their importance to consumers.
- Word-of-mouth advertising remains the main source of information about news in the food industry, as well as in many other consumer markets. In this category, for the food market, friends and relatives are considered the main channel for learning information. In a number of other markets, bloggers (for example, cosmetics, clothes, etc.) are considered to be an important source of information about news today, but this does not apply to food products.
- TV advertising has been losing its audience for many years. Consumers who found out about new foods through TV shows gradually moved to Youtube. But in 2020, the trend has changed. In almost all markets, television has regained its audience, especially in the food market. The most popular TV shows from which consumers receive information about new food products: Recipes of Julia Vysotskaya (NTV), Dead and Alive Food (NTV), Smack (Channel One), Let's Eat (NTV), Live Healthy (Channel One), Control purchase (Channel One).
- E-commerce as an electronic platform has become one of the important channels for consumers to receive information about new products. This was especially characteristic of the fashion industry, where such actively developing platforms as Wildberries, Lamoda appeared. Gradually, buyers began to refuse to read articles about news in glossy magazines and began to be more loyal to what the electronic site recommends to them. Now it is on the food market that electronic platforms will maintain their leading position. For food manufacturers, you need to develop their accounts on electronic platforms. To do this, you can post information about the company on the platform, regularly update product cards, and send timely information about new products to the site. The most popular Internet sites: Lenta.com, Magnit-info.ru, Ozon.ru, 5ka.ru, Perekrestok.ru, Metro-cc.ru, Okmarket.ru.
- For several years, social networks have been losing their audience, this trend is characteristic both for Russia and for foreign sites. The number of people who use social networks as a source of information about new products and services is decreasing. One of the reasons for this subsidence in social network indicators could be passive behavior of companies and irrelevant brands accounts.
- Newsletters as direct communication with consumers through mailings, primarily emails, like social networks, are losing their popularity among Russian consumers. The main reason is uninteresting content and offers for consumers.
- The print media lose their attractiveness indicators for consumers every year, but despite this, they continue to remain in the TOP 10 most interesting sources of information for buyers. The most popular print media, where consumers find out information about new food products, are Cosmopolitan, Lisa, 7 Days, Gastronom, Bulletin of Healthy Lifestyle, Glamor, Vogue.
- Last year, the popularity of food ordering applications has grown among consumers. Almost every third buyer used such applications.
- The popularity of Youtube as a source of information about new products in the food market has slowed. But in addition to Youtube, Instagram is actively developing. It is convenient for companies to post short videos with recipes of dishes and present new products.
- Bloggers are considered one of the most promising and growing channels through which consumers learn about new products. Experts recommend inviting them to online and offline events of the company and pay more attention to regional bloggers, as they are more willing to cooperate and less spoiled by the attention of brands. The disadvantage of this channel, analysts called the difficult feedback. It is practically impossible to control how information about the company was posted following the results of the event.
- Electronic media is not such a popular source about new foods. Work with journalists requires a significant share of the working hours of public relations specialists. In this case, limited coverage of the target audience is assumed.